CIPCO cooperates with the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI) in a project on the chances and challenges that so-called “artificial intelligence” presents – both in Switzerland and globally – to the intellectual property law framework:
- AI-based business models and their demands regarding an appropriate IP law framework
- Applicability of traditional IP rights (IPRs) to AI tools generating IP and to IP generated by such tools?
- Need for new types of IP rights?
- Tension between increasingly “creative” AI systems and the concept of human inventorship/authorship
- Need to ensure third-party access to key AI systems and their output in order to safeguard innovation dynamics?
- Cornerstones for devising – and counseling on – an appropriate IPR portfolio strategy regarding AI
- AI in IP transactions
- Use of AI by IP offices
We will assess these and further issues in a series of online workshops leading up to a closed-door, on-site event that focuses on potential legislative and administrative steps for adapting the intellectual property law framework to the AI context.